Salt is an important part of the food, so knowing its benefits will help us make the most use out of it so, that we can reap all its advantages. Nature has bestowed us with Himalayan Salt in the mountain ranges of Pakistan and we must know what is Himalayan salt good for?
From its high nutritive value to having décor and self-care uses to therapeutic benefits, there is a wide range of advantages Himalayan pink salt possesses. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of Himalayan salt in detail and the idea that whether Himalayan pink salt is better for you or not.
Himalayan pink salt benefits can be categorized into the following groups.
- Nutritive benefits
- Health benefits
- Himalayan salt benefits for face
- Therapeutic uses
- Home use
- Self-care benefits
Just like table salt, Himalayan salt consists of sodium (Na) and chloride (Cl). It’s called a miraculous salt because it is a combination of other minerals and elements due to which it is beneficial in so many different ways. Elements present in a certain kind of salt are determined by its type, the site it is extracted from and the method employed to extract it.
This versatile salt handpicked from the Himalayan mountain ranges consists of 84 different minerals and trace elements, thus it is reasonable to say that Himalayan salt nutrition level is high. These include macro-minerals like calcium (Ca), selenium, potassium (K), etc. and trace minerals like Iron and zinc. These are the minerals that give this salt its beautiful hue of pink and orange.
In addition, it also has elements like Hydrogen and Oxygen that make it remarkable when compared to the table salt. One major component table salt is known for is Iodine. Now a question arises that does pink salt also have Iodine like table salt? Iodine plays an important role in the proper functioning of the thyroid gland and Himalayan salt contains 0.1g of Iodine per kg.
Have you ever heard your elders advising not to consume too much salt? People generally believe that consumption of salt is detrimental to health and you should cut down your salt intake. The point to ponder then, would be that is Himalayan pink salt healthy?
The advice of less salt intake can be true for table salt which loses its natural contents due to the extraction process and the chemical treatment it undergoes. This is because in table salt sodium (Na) is retained which causes unfavorable effects on health, while the other minerals like potassium, magnesium, etc. which negate the bad effects of sodium are lost. Himalayan salt, on the other hand, has higher levels of potassium as compared to sodium. One can therefore question, does Himalayan salt lower blood pressure?
The answer to this is in affirmation. Potassium in the pink salt helps maintain pH levels in the body, reduces the risk of heart disease and actually helps in lowering the blood pressure.
There are also numerous health benefits of drinking pink Himalayan salt. Salt Sole, (pronunciation: so-lay) a dilute solution of the salt in water, if taken once a day in the morning is good to fulfill your mineral requirement and hydrate the body. It also supports weight loss by reducing cravings and hunger for snacks. There are a number of other health benefits of Himalayan salt including achieving hormonal balance, increasing metabolic rate, and proper thyroid and adrenal functioning.
Himalayan Salt Benefits For Face:
Do you want skin which is fresh-looking and smooth? Do you head towards high-charging salons for this? By having Himalayan salt, you need not be heavy on your pockets anymore. Here’s how to use Himalayan salt on your face to avail its benefits
- A warm bath with Himalayan salt added in water or a facial rinse with this remedy can detoxify your skin to help you feel rejuvenated.
- Himalayan salt Hydrating Toner can be used for glowing and moisturized skin. It can be sprayed on the face after cleansing.
- Himalayan salt mixed with Aloe Vera gel applied regularly to a clean face will show marked reduction in acne and spots.
- Himalayan salt scrub, if used once or twice a week will exfoliate dead cells from your skin and make your face revitalized.
Himalayan pink salt from Khewra mines in Pakistan has also paved the way into therapeutics. Various therapeutic uses are listed below.
- Salt inhalers – small inhalers or inhaler pots can be filled with pink salt and hot water. If inhaled for 10-15 minutes several times a day can be beneficial for alleviating seasonal flu or chest congestion.
- Salt salinizer – it is a small portable device which is used as an air purifier. It has therapeutic benefits for patients with chronic respiratory ailments.
- Himalayan Salt Lamps – made up of pure Himalayan salt, these remarkable salt lamps are really beneficial in removing the pollutants from the environment.
- Neti Poti – Nasal irrigation can be done with Neti Poti which involves the use of a wide syringe to drain salt water from one nostril to the other clearing the sinuses. This is also very useful for children who cannot rinse off their nose on their own.
Home Décor With Himalayan Salt:
The salt lamp is emerging as a new trend these days. It is a big chunk of beautifully carved Himalayan salt with a bulb in the center. This trending lamp provides soft light and is a new home décor item in demand. It can be placed in your living room, bedroom, kitchen, particularly anywhere in the house. They are said to release energy and positive vibes in the environment.
The magnanimous Himalayan salt is one of nature’s bounties that can also be used for self-care. This can be achieved through warm salt baths, warm salt spa, aromatherapy, exfoliation for feet detoxification, etc.
Hence, it is evident that the Himalayan salt has far better nutritional value and is far more beneficial than the table salt and should definitely be preferred over the ordinary refined salt.