Owing to the plethora of health benefits a salt lamp holds, it is no wonder that you have placed one in every room of your house. Salt lamps are great décor pieces that can completely change the look of your place. These miracle lamps not only give a chic look to the place, but they also improve the environment.
After you have chosen the right salt lamp for your place, the next step is to know how you can take good care of the salt lamp. The salt lamp can last for a long time if handled in the right manner. No matter how robust the lamp looks, a little negligence can cause severe damage to it.
Salt light bulb:
A Himalayan salt lamp is a block of salt which is chiseled at the center to form a hollow space. An electric bulb is fixed in this hollow space. This is what a simple Himalayan salt lamp looks like.
Since the bulb happens to be the most important part of the salt lamp, we will talk about it in detail in this article. We aim to provide you all the necessary guidance that may come in handy while fixing and replacing the light bulb.
What type of bulb does a salt lamp use?
First, know the difference between different light bulbs available in the market.
- Incandescent bulb: It is the least expensive bulb available. It gives a warm, inviting glow and is most commonly used.
- Halogen bulb: It is a little pricey but energy efficient. It gives out day-light illumination called white light. Its color is sharper than the incandescent bulb.
- Fluorescent bulb: It gives out the brightest light and comes in different colors. It is best used in large areas.
- Tungsten filament bulb: It is the best choice to be used in the salt lamp. It is perfect to bring along the light bulb that comes with the salt lamp if you want to get the exact replacement. You basically need something that gives out light and generates enough heat.
How to choose the best size of bulb for your salt lamp?
Himalayan salt lamps are not mere lamps used to light up any space. They are used 24/7 to balance out any positive ions and to cleanse the air from the pollutants. Since the lamp will be used all the time, you need to find a bulb that fits well and doesn’t use up much electricity. Follow this size chart to know the right sized bulb for your salt lamp.
- Himalayan salt lamps with 3-11 lbs (mini, small, medium) require a 15 watt light bulb
- Himalayan salt lamps with 12-20 lbs (large, extra-large) require a 25 watt light bulb
- Himalayan salt lamps with 21-40 lbs (jumbo) require a 40 watt light bulb
- Himalayan salt lamps with 41-200 lbs (super jumbo plus, super jumbo ++) require 50-60 watt light bulbs
Can halogen or LED bulbs be used in the salt lamp?
You need a bulb that produces light and heat for the salt lamp. Unfortunately, you cannot use LED or halogen bulbs because:
- LED bulbs produce the best light, are very cost-effective but they do not produce heat.
- Halogen bulbs produce too much heat which is not suitable for a salt lamp.
What to do if the salt lamp bulb keeps blowing?
When the salt lamp bulb keeps blows, most of the time the fuse for the lighting circuits blows or trips too. There are a few reasons for the bulb to keep blowing:
- Low quality or cheap bulbs. They use thin elements that blow up even with a slight surge in power.
- A loose connection in the lamp holder. This makes the circuit incomplete which causes the electric current to jump over. This may heat things up and cause the bulb to blow.
- The spring-loaded connection in bulb holder is loose.
If your bulb keeps blowing, check and fix these things:
- Your bulb supplier.
- The wire connections of your bulb holder.
- If the spring-loaded connectors are working properly or not.
Himalayan Salt lamp weeping:
Weeping or leaking of the salt lamp can cause damage to its bulb as well. Since the lamp is hygroscopic, it attracts moisture. This causes the lamp to weep. If the moisture reaches the bulb or the other part that connects it to the cord, it may get damaged.
How to change the salt lamp bulb?
Follow these steps to safely replace the bulb of your salt lamp:
- Unplug and thoroughly clean the lamp.
- Disassemble different parts of the lamp.
- Place the lamp on a flat surface and carefully remove the damaged bulb.
- Carefully fix the new light bulb.
- Check for any loose connections and fix them.
The salt lamp does not require a lot of care. You just need to be careful about a few small things and the lamp will last for many years.