Due to the availability of different kinds of salt, it has become very difficult for consumers to choose the right one that is most suitable for their needs.
Currently, salt baths are getting very popular as they promise extraordinary beauty and skin benefits along with relaxing stiff and tired muscles. The very thought of a warm bath or soak filled with beneficial salt crystals promising to do wonders to your skin and muscles seems so relaxing.
This whole thing gets a little tricky when you have to choose the right salt to add to your bath. The markets are full of a number of salts each claiming to be the best. Epsom salt has been in use at spas for this purpose since long. Remember those beauty traveling kits containing a small packet full of tiny cubes of salt? That was Epsom salt which was included in the traveling kits for the travelers to use and get relaxed.
Since the past few years, Himalayan salt has emerged in the markets claiming to be extremely beneficial for human health. Himalayan salt is used for consumption as well as in bath soaks. Let us talk in detail about both the salts to know which one is suitable for us.
Scientifically speaking, salt is comprised of two components that are chemically combined. One of the components is metal while the other is a non-metal. The charges that these components carry always balance out to give zero.
These chemical components make all the salts different from each other. A common question that is asked frequently by the bath salt users is:
Can I Use Rock Salt Instead Of Epsom Salt?
For bath soaks you can, but both the salts are very different from each other and hence yield different benefits.
Himalayan salt is extracted from the Himalayan salt ranges. These salt ranges are located at the foothills of the Himalayan mountains in Pakistan. The crystals of this salt have beautiful shades of pink and orange and resemble tiny rocks. The intermolecular structure of the crystals enables it to hold quantum energy that makes this salt special.
Himalayan salt nutrition is due to the presence of as many as 84 trace minerals including sodium and chloride. The sodium level is found to be lower than other salts. Himalayan salt iodine content also makes it different from other salts though it is present in trace quantity. All the Himalayan salt minerals are already present in the human body and are vital for the proper functioning of the organs.
Benefits Of The Himalayan Salt Are:
- Regulates water level in the body
- Balances the pH level of the body
- Supplements and regulates blood and sugars level of the body
- Improves respiratory health
- Cleans up the kidneys and urinary tract
- Improves cardiovascular functions
- Claims to be an anti-aging agent
- Helps relieve muscle cramps
- Helps in contributing to better sleep for people suffering from insomnia
- Helps in improving cognitive and nerve functionality
- Use of Himalayan pink salt for weight loss
Epsom salt is not actually a salt, but a mineral found in water that contains high levels of magnesium and sulfate. The crystals of this mineral resemble those of the table salt which is why it is called a ‘salt’. It has no sodium chloride (salt) and is chemically called magnesium sulfate. It was first found by distilling water in the English town Epsom in Surrey, back in the 1800s.
Studies show that the nature of human skin makes the absorption of magnesium and sulfate very easy. Epsom salt is, therefore, an excellent way to benefit from these two minerals.
Health Benefits Of The Epsom Salt Bath Detox:
- The magnesium contained in the Epsom salt regulates the activities of enzymes in the body.
- It helps reduce inflammation.
- Helps in keeping the nerve and muscle function run smoothly.
- The magnesium present in the Epsom salt alleviates the hardening of the artery.
- Epsom salt is used by therapists for relieving migraine and headaches.
- It helps in flushing toxins out of the body.
- The sulfate present in Epsom salt helps in treating athlete’s foot.
- Epsom salt is also being used for weight loss.
Now, that we have discussed the source and health benefits of both the salts, let us talk about their physical differences and uses.
What Is The Difference In The Appearance Of Both The Salts?
There is an obvious difference in the appearance of the Epsom and the Himalayan salt. The Himalayan salt is actually an ancient deposit of salt resulted because of massive sea evaporation. It is found in salt mines and is extracted in the form of huge blocks. These blocks are then sliced, cut or ground according to the need. The Himalayan salt contains 84 trace minerals that are responsible for the beautiful pink and orange colors it is famous for.
Epsom salt is not salt in the first place. It was first extracted by the distillation of water. It is not natural and made with a substance that contains magnesium in it. The crystals of Epsom salt resemble the table salt crystals and are crystal-white in color.
How To Use Himalayan Salt?
Himalayan salt is versatile as it can be used in many ways. Some popular uses of the natural rock salt are:
- Himalayan salt blocks and lamps are used as unique décor pieces.
- The salt lamps are used as air purifiers.
- Himalayan salt is a great food additive. It enhances the flavors while providing plenty of health benefits.
- Himalayan salt licks are used for animals like dogs, deer, and horses. The salt licks help in strengthening and growth of animals’ bone, teeth, and muscles.
- Himalayan salt bath and soaks are used for relaxing tired muscles.
- Himalayan salt scrubs are used for rejuvenating skin and replenishing it with lost minerals.
- Himalayan salt is used in treatments for respiratory ailments.
- Himalayan salt blocks and slabs are used in the kitchen. These slabs can be used as cooking or serving platters. The food served on these platters stays warm or cold for a longer time.
- Himalayan salt and lemon water helps in boosting energy while making up for the lost minerals from the body.
How To Use Epsom Salt:
Some common uses of the Epsom salt are:
- Use Epsom salt for feet: If you are suffering from athlete’s foot, soak your feet in warm water mixed with Epsom salt to see relieving results.
- If you have splinters in your skin, soak it in a solution of water and Epsom salt to easily remove them.
- Soak your fungus-infected toe-nail in a solution of water and Epsom salt thrice a day to cure it.
- If you have sprains and bruises on your body, soak yourself in a solution of warm water and Epsom salt for detoxification and relaxation.
- Use Epsom salt as a laxative to cure constipation.
- Mix a handful of Epsom salt with olive oil and scrub on your body. This will exfoliate your body making it fresh and soft.
- Mix Epsom salt with your face cleanser to rid your face of dead cells.
- Mix Epsom salt and iodine in boiling water. Apply this on your skin for the removal of blackheads.
- Feet dipped in a warm solution of water and Epsom salts help in relieving foot odor, sooth achy feet and soften rough skin.
- Epsom salt mixed in your hair conditioner works like a volumizer.
- Mix Epsom salt with bathroom cleaner to get clean, sparkling tiles.
- Use Epsom salts to prevent slugs.
- Mix Epsom salt in baby oil and make an effective hand wash.
- Run your washing machine with a warm solution of Epsom salt and water to clear away any build-ups.
- Use Epsom salt in your gardening as a fertilizer, insecticide and make your lawn greener.
Epsom salt and Himalayan salt both have numerous benefits. It is not fit to claim one salt better than the other. It is up to you to choose which salt suits your need the best.