By now, you must be well aware of the plethora of the Himalayan salt lamp benefits unless you are living under a rock. Himalayan salt is nature’s gift to mankind.
The Himalayan salt comes from the mines located at the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains. These mountain ranges are located in northern Pakistan and extend up to 186 miles (approximately) starting from river Jhelum and ending at the River Indus. This salt is known to be the purest form of salt on this planet and carries as many as 84 trace minerals. All of these minerals are already present in our bodies and are extremely beneficial for our wellbeing. Himalayan salt benefits make it different from all other salts available in the market.
Himalayan Salt Lamp Benefits:
Himalayan salt lamps are chunks of salt harvested from the salt mines. These chunks are left in their crude shape and sometimes given beautiful shapes. A light bulb is fixed at the center and this makes a beautiful salt lamp.
Some other incredible benefits of Himalayan salt lamps are:
- Balance electromagnetic radiation
- Cleanse the air
- Improves breathing
- Raise energy levels
Salt Lamp Leaking:
If you have recently purchased a beautiful salt crystal lamp, you might be surprised to find that your salt lamp cries or leaks. Himalayan salt is hygroscopic in nature which means it attracts moisture from the environment. Along with the moisture, all the impurities also get trapped inside the lamp. It is the moisture absorbed from the environment that causes the salt lamp to leak. Nothing to worry about. This salt crystal lamps leaking is pretty normal.
How To Stop Salt Lamp Leaking?
You can follow the following steps to avoid salt crystal lamps leaking and damaging.
- There are certain places around your house that are bound to be more moisture-prone. Avoid keeping your salt lamps around those places. Like (Kitchen , Bathrooms , Laundry areas , Open Spaces )
If you live in a place where the environment is mostly humid, you will have to bear with crying salt lamps.
- Keep your lamp on at all times. It is ideal to let the lamp turned on 24/7 but in case that isn’t possible, make sure the lamp is left working for at least 16 hours a day. The light bulb warms the lamp which assists in collected moisture to evaporate.
- Use a higher wattage bulb. The usual bulbs that come with the salt lamps are around 15 watts. Use a higher wattage bulb that is around 25-30 watts. This will help in keeping the lamp heated, hence no accumulated moisture will happen.
- Use a moisture absorber. It is ideal to place something that absorbs moisture from the environment in the same place as the salt lamp. Damprid is a good choice.
How To Store Your Salt Lamp?
In case you want to store your salt lamp, you should make sure to wrap it in a plastic wrap. This will ensure the salt lamp doesn’t absorb moisture and doesn’t leak.
In addition to this, you need to follow the following steps in order to avoid any dangers pertaining to the salt lamp leaking.
- Unplug your lamp and thoroughly dry the lamp and its cord. If you are not sure about how to dry the lamp, follow the instruction leaflet that comes with it.
- The accumulated water from the salt lamp isn’t plain water. It is salt water and it leaves behind salt crystals when it evaporates. You will need to carefully wipe the furniture or any other surface that must have come in contact with the water leaked from the salt lamp.
- Scrap off the base of your lamp. The water when evaporated leaves behind crystals here too, which might make your lamp look uneven or unfinished. Use hard plastic tools to scrape off the salt crystals as metal ones might damage the lamp or its wooden base.
- You can also protect your furniture and other surfaces from getting damaged by the salt water dripping from the lamp by placing the lamp in a shallow dish. Drain the accumulated salt water from the dish from time to time.
Himalayan Salt Lamp Leaking Dangers:
This might sound a little surprising but these salt lamps do come with their own sets of dangers that can be caused by the leaking.
- The salt lamp can cause corrosion. If your lamp is placed in contact with metal it may cause corrosion or damage the metal to a great extent. So, make sure you put it away from any metal.
- Himalayan salt lamps are heavy in weight. Since these lamps are hand-made they might be asymmetrical. This means they can trip over with a slight blow or push especially when they are leaking.
- If you are a dog owner then you might be aware of the fact that dogs sometimes have salt cravings to fulfill their mineral requirements. So make sure they don’t lick your leaking salt lamp too much. If they lick and consume more than their defined daily intake of salt, they may fall sick which in some cases can cause serious health issues.
- If your salt lamp is not handled properly, the water and electricity can come in contact and cause electrical hazards. The salt from the lamp can damage the cord which is another hazard on its own.
How To Tell If Your Salt Lamp Is Real or Fake?
Because of the popularity of the Himalayan salt lamps, the markets are being bombarded with a lot of varieties. Sadly, some of the salt lamps being sold are fake. You need to buy a real Himalayan salt lamp to avail most of its benefits. This is how you can judge your salt lamp.
- If your salt crystal lamp gives out very bright light, it is not real. The real ones give out muted light.
- If it is made of white crystalline salt and didn’t cost you an arm and a leg, it is fake. Usual salt lamps come in subtle tones of pink and orange. White ones are rare and expensive.
- If your salt lamp doesn’t leak, it is fake. Himalayan salt lamp melting is very normal for the salt lamps.
- If you do not experience any mentioned health benefits while using your salt lamp, chances are it is not real.
Salt lamp leaking is just a normal process. Follow above-mentioned steps to avoid any damage to your salt lamp.