The crazy hype in the market has turned a task as simple as choosing the right product for daily use into a herculean task. While consumers love the broad choice spectrum, it sometimes becomes difficult to tell useful apart from harmful. As soon as something gains popularity in a certain market, the market starts getting bombarded with fake products.
When choosing dietary supplements, food items and likes for your animals, you need to be extra careful. You don’t want to end up with something that is substandard or doesn’t quite match up the ‘healthy’ mark.
The same is the scenario with salt blocks for horses. We all know how daily salt intake is important for maintaining the horse’s health. It helps them in growing and keeps their sanity intact along with keeping them hydrated.In order to pull you out of any such situation, we have compiled a complete list of the best salt blocks for your horses. Go through this list and see which salt deserves to end up in your shopping list.
These salt blocks are made up of the pink Himalayan salt. This salt is mined from ancient salt deposits and is full of minerals that are beneficial for the horse’s health. It contains potassium, iron, magnesium, and as many as 84 minerals in total. It also contains sulfur which is best for fighting fatigue, stress, pain, and cancer.
- These pink Himalayan salt blocks come in three sizes, 2.2 pounds, 4.4 pounds, and 7.5 pounds.
- The salt block has a rope attached to it which is very helpful in hanging the block at a convenient place for your horse. You can order these salt blocks in bulk too.
Pennsylvania Imports Himalayan Salt Brick Lick for Horses
It is made up of the natural Himalayan salt which helps your horse in replenishing its lost electrolytes. It has a hole and the rope attached that ensures the sat lasts longer as compared to adding it directly to the feed or water which may end up in a lot of salt wastage.
- This salt block is an excellent choice as it comes in a bog size and is not pricey.
- The salt block comes with a hole in the center with a rope to hang it conveniently.
S.W.A.M.P. Corporation Himalayan Salt Lick
Another one mined from the foothills of the great Himalayas in Pakistan. These salt blocks are mined in Pakistan and then imported and packaged in the United States. This salt block is a great buy at Amazon. If you are seriously looking for a good deal, do not let this go.
- The salt block comes with a rope for convenient hanging.
- This salt block is packed full of beneficial minerals like potassium, iron, magnesium, and calcium which helps in promoting good muscle and bone health.
- You can also use these salt licks for deer to attract them.
- This salt block is water and bite resistant which means your ponies can enjoy the salt block without you having to worry about the wastage.
Milliard Himalayan Animal Salt Lick for Horses
Another favorite at Amazon this 6 pounds salt block is a steal deal. The salt block is made up of the natural pink Himalayan salt which is mined in Pakistan. If you are concerned about your horse’s health and are looking for a Himalayan salt lick on a rope, this must make it to your upcoming ordering list.
- The salt block comes with a hole in the center with a strong rope dangling from it. You can conveniently hang the salt block. It will also serve as a boredom killer for your horse.
- You don’t have to worry about the weather or your horse biting large chunks of salt and ending up being overdosed with salt.
- Miliard salt lick is completely water and bites resistant.
Himalayan secrets Compressed Himalayan Salt Lick
This salt lick is a little different. It doesn’t come as natural rock, rather it is compressed and shaped into a proper block. This increases the durability and longevity of the salt block plus gives it a neat look. The good thing about this salt block is that it is completely natural. It does not contain any additives or binding agents.
- Himalayan secrets salt blocks come in four sizes of 4.4 pounds, 5.5 pounds, 8.8 pounds, and 11 pounds.
- The salt blocks are light pink in color owing to the high mineral content.
- These blocks have smooth edges and surface that ensures your horse’s tongue’s safety.
UMAID 6 lbs Himalayan Animal Lick Salt
This salt block is tagged as Amazon’s choice on the website. This speaks about the popularity of this brand among consumers.
The salt block contains many essential minerals important for horses’ growth and health. When a horse licks salt, it feels thirsty and drinks water. This water intake aids in proper digestion. Adequate water is also necessary for keeping the horses alert and active.
- The block comes weighing around 6 pounds which seems to be the right size for a salt lick.
- This salt block has a hole in the center and a rope passing through it which makes hanging the salt block very convenient.
EZ outdoors Himalayan salt licks
Only the best things come with a money-back guarantee. Why? Because the manufacturers know their products are of premium quality.
- This Himalayan salt block comes in a circular shape with a generous 3-4 inch think diameter.
- It comes with a hole through which a sturdy rope passes. You can tie this rope to any hook or pole and your horses can enjoy the salt lick at their own disposal.
- This salt is 100% natural. It is highly resistant to breaking or corrosion and lasts longer than most salt licks.
HijiNa Animal Licking Himalayan Pink Salt Lick
This salt block is another entry in Amazon’s favorite list. It is FDA approved which means it is completely safe for your horses. If you want your horses to have strong bones and muscle growth an improved blood and heart health, this block looks like a good choice.
- It comes with a rope for easy hanging.
- It is biting approved and weather resistant which means it lasts a lot longer than regular salt licks.
- This salt has never been fumigated and is completely free from chemicals and additives that may be harmful to your horses.
- If you are not happy with the quality of this salt block, the company is all ears to listen and solve your issues.
Himalayan nature’s natural salt licking brick
This salt-brick comes in the shape of a rectangular brick. This salt block contains all the essential minerals that your horse needs.
- It is shaped on a machine to fit standard salt lick holders.
- It is hard to be bitten and weather resistant which advocates its longevity.
EXPRIMIR Himalayan Salt Lick for All Animals
This salt block is bright pink in color which means it is rich in mineral content. The Himalayan salt block helps in replenishing the lost electrolytes from horses’ bodies due to hard work and heat. If you have other animals at your place, they can also enjoy licking this Himalayan salt block. Since Himalayan salt is low in copper, you don’t have to worry about your pets getting copper toxicity.
- This salt lick is suitable for all livestock, particularly horses.
- You do not need metal holders for this one as it comes with a sturdy rope passing through the hole at the center of the block.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How many grams of salt does a horse needs?
A: according to experts, an average 500kg horse has a daily requirement of 10 grams of sodium and 40 grams of chloride on a lazy day with not much heat. With the increase in work and temperature, these requirements increase to 17.8 grams and 53.3 grams respectively. These two electrolytes are vital for the function of numerous cellular processes within the horse’s body.
Q: Can I use cooking salt for the salt lick?
A: You can, as far as it is not ‘lite salt’. this type of salt contains potassium chloride in a regulated quantity in order for humans to limit their sodium intake. Any salt that is pure, free from additives, free from anti-caking and bleaching agents would do for the salt lick. If you are sure about the salt you intend to use for your horse, go for it.
If you are having trouble finding the right salt for your pony friend, stick to the Himalayan alt blocks as they are natural and pure. At least you will be sure that your horse is getting something healthy and beneficial.
Q: Why is salt important in a horse’s diet?
- Salt is important for horses as their growth and functioning of the entire body depends upon it. Horses start behaving strangely if their body gets a salt deficit. Himalayan salt is comprised of sodium and chloride and is crucially responsible for carrying out some of the vital body functions.
- When sodium chloride gets absorbed in the bloodstream, these two elements become lionized and play a vital role in communicating electrical signals throughout the body. This communication is very important for the nervous and musculoskeletal system to function properly.
- Sodium plays an important role in retaining water in the tissues. In case a horse’s body gets a sodium deficiency, it will feel dehydrated.
- Sodium also plays an important role in regulating the movement of glucose around the cell membrane. This ensures that the energy levels and functions involving glucose are optimum. If glucose movement is stalled, it might result in ill health, early signs of fatigue and poor muscle development and strength.
- There are numerous nutrients that are very beneficial for the functioning of the human body. The tricky part is that these nutrients need sodium in sufficient quantities for their working.
Salt plays an important part in the health of horses and salt licks are a wise way of meeting your horse’s daily salt requirements. If you want your horses to be active, healthy and show good growth, you will have to put up salt licks at several places around the land. Don’t forget to put water tubs nearby too!